Thursday, May 28, 2009

After the Hand In


Well after a rather large gap in my blogging activity, due to the workload in the lastt few months of my degree I have decided to make a comeback. The degree is finished bar the marks, which we will get in mid June and since I have handed in my final work I have found that I have been listening to a massive amount of music. It's as if some mental space has cleared.


I haven't however started reading a novel yet - but that is in part due to the fact that the last novel I read was so good that nothing else seems to measure up. Mary George of Allnorthover by poet Lavinia Greenlaw is one of the best novels I have read in a long time. The novel is set in a small Essex town in the late 1970s. the writing is both visceral and beautiful and is evocative of the time and place. There is no danger of Greenlaw becoming rambly or overly poetic - although the prose is highly descriptive in places the plot bowls the story along sucking the reader in and inducing the rare quality of a book that you just can't put down because you really care about what happens next.

No comments: