Friday, April 13, 2007

Weird Music Videos




I saw a really weird music video on TV today. A kind of soul/disco cover of the Smiths song "Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before." Which is weird enough in itself you might think but no there's more - towards the end of the song it miraculously changes into a cover of The Supreme's "You Keep me Hanging On". Then there's the video itself, which feature a pair of sneakers with a life of their own - shade of "the Red Shoes" - but it also really reminded me of the video "The Wrong Trousers" by aardman, where the trousers run away with Wallace inside them. The director is Scott Lyon.




Another director that is well worth a look is Michel Gondry - his most memorable in my opinion is "Let Forever Be" by The Chemical Brothers, a surreal trip of a video that I can watch over and over without getting bored of. Even my 14 year old son was impressed by it and that's saying something. Gondry has done some famous adverts and some other great pop videos too - The White Stripes animation totally done in lego and the Massive Attack video set in a block of flats. All of which are brilliant works. If you want to see Gondry's work there might be some on youtube or you can buy the DVD "The Work of Director Michel Gondry" from Amazon.

No comments: