Monday, September 25, 2006

Too Old for Creative Writing?

Today I enrolled for the creative writing degree and at the grand age of 40 was the oldest student by at least 10 years. Did I feel old? YES! Did I feel like quitting before I had even started? Hell Yes! Did I quit? No not yet and hopefully I won't - it didn't feel comfortable though - I was definitely out of my comfort zone. I was hoping that there would be at least one other oldie in my group - I know that there have been more in previous years.

What is putting them off? Not the course content, a lot of people come to creative writing when they are older - maybe it is the new tuition fees that came in this year. The government have a lot to answer for! It nearly put me off too - but sometimes you jsut gotta follow your dream. So thats what I'm trying to do - just have to conquer those feeling of inadequacy and being out on a limb first!

3 comments:

choochoo said...

Don't worry about your age. Most classes I've been in have older students, and nobody ever thought much about wether or not they belonged. Besides, if you drop out for that reason, you'll regret it at some point. focus on your writing, not the kiddies:)

Anvilcloud said...

No, no: follow your star wherever it leads. My SIL is older than you and took a course last year, also the old lady in the class, and had amazing results. She is truly and immeasueably happy because she has discovered herself or part of it. That may or may not shift in future, but, for now, it is very right for her.

But having recently begun music lessons, I do understand your doubts. It's only human.

Julia said...

Thanks so much for your encouraging comments. I have been feeling a little disheartened but I know in my heart that next week when we start doing proper lessons things will seem a lot better. I admire you for starting music lessons anvilcloud - keep up the good work!