Friday, August 04, 2006

Can't Stop the Playlists

I was amazed to see that several people hadn't heard of any of the artists listed on yesterdays Thursday Thirteen. Some of them like Catatonia are probably better known in the UK, but The Talking Heads! I thought everyone knew them - maybe I really am getting old!

For some obscure reason today I woke up with the song "Can't Stop Movin" by S Club 7 buzzing round my brain. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. I certainly wasn't a fan although my son was when he was about 6, he won tickets to see them in a concert at Hyde Park. The highlights of which for him were
1) seeing Mr Blobby
2) hearing the BBC philarmonic orchestra playing the Star Wars theme while letting off fireworks (not as spectacular as it sounds because it was a summers afternoon!).

I have been going to bed with my ipod this week (how sad is that?) - so here is this weeks playlist (click on the links to hear excerpts:

1) Got ID - Pearl Jam
This is currently my favourite PJ track, sorry the sample is such bad quality!
2) Five Miles Out - Mike Oldfield
Five Miles Out was always my favourite Mike Oldfield album and I had the urge to hear it again this week.
3) The Saxophone Song - Kate Bush
From the excellent album "The Kick Inside".
4) Keep on Running - The Spencer Davis Group
5) Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann
7) Slight Return - The Bluetones
From the 1996 album Expecting to Fly, this band were very big at the time but have sadly faded into relative obscurity.
8) I Won't Close My Eyes - UB40
from the album UB44.
9) Closer to Your Heart - Clannad
I loved the album Macalla when I was younger and went to see Clannad in concert.
10) Reflections - Diana Ross and the Supremes
11) Caring is Creepy - The Shins
This comes from the great soundtrack of a brilliant film called Garden State.
12) Sunshine Day - Osibisa
A feel good blast from the past.
13) There is an End - The Greenhornes with Holly Golightly
From the soundtrack of the Bill Murray film Broken Flowers.
14) Lebanese Blonde - The Theivery Corporation
15) In the Waiting Line - Zero 7
16) Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
17) Love and Affection - Joan Armatrading
This was played to death at the time but I found myself wanting to hear it again this week.
18) Black - Pearl Jam
From the album ten.
19) Rome wasn't Built in a Day - Morcheeba
20) Highway Star - Deep Purple
from the album Machine Head.

and on that note I am going to finish as the copy of Machine Head that i ordered from ebay this week has just arrived - yummy!

No comments: