Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Movies I have Really Enjoyed (in no particular order) Pupski




1….Garden State.
A feel good film with a really good soundtrack.

2...Donnie Darko
Another great soundtrack, and a film that really make you think.

3...Falling in Love
A classic based on brief encounter and starring Meryl Streep (before we got sick of her) and Robert De Niro.

4...Hi Fidelity
One of my favourite films of all time. Yet another great soundtrack, and the main character is brilliant. A real feel good film.

5...Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
I don't normally like Jim Carrey but he is great in this. Another film with a twist on reality that makes you think.

6...The Breakfast Club
A great 1980s soundtrack - this is a bit dated now but just brings back the whole era - excellent.

7...The Lord of the Rings
The first in the trilogy was undoubtedly for me the best. I like a ripping yarn and if it features handsome men with long hair and swords on horses so much the better!

8...Two Lane Blacktop
A very weird film made around 1970 starring James Taylor, Warren Oates and Dennis Wilson. It's about road racing but is very much of it's era and is more about what the characters don't say than what they do.

9...The Three Colours Triolgy
These films are beautiful. They are about atmosphere and emotion.

10...The Wall
This was groundbreaking at the time. It is very weird and reminds me of being a teenager, as well as having great music.

11...Labrynth
Well you have to have at least one kids film and this one has several advantages over any others .. David Bowie, great puppetry by Jim Henson, fantastic attention to detail and did I say David Bowie?

12...The Sheltering Sky
A beautifully shot, emotionally charged film by Bernardo Bertolucci, based on the book by Paul Bowles. This film may be too slow paced for some which may be why it didn't do well at the box office.

13...Consequnces of Love
Another atmosheric film, that switches between being really slow and fast paced with a pumping soundtrack. Beware lots of smoking!

(darn should have had Quadrophenia in there too - ah well too late now!)
BR />

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Skittles

2. Tricia

3. Karin

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great list! I have seen some but not all of them. I know I have never seen Garden State. :(


Thanks for visiting my TT. Have a great Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Interesting list. I've only seen a couple of those.

My TT is up.

Anonymous said...

I've only seen #6 & #7 of that list, but I keep hearing I should see #5. I just can't get past the whole Jim Carrey is in it thing.

Becky said...

Holy crap! someone else that actually knows/remembers Labyrinth! Hmmm...now I have to skip over to Ebay and see about getting that one.

Anonymous said...

great list of movies

we love labyrinth!!!!

Natsthename said...

I LOVE High Fidelity! (great book, too!)

Laci said...

Garden State and High Fidelity are two of my favorites (I have a ton - definitely more than 13!) :)

Happy belated Thursday and Happy Click and Comment Monday! :)