Friday, March 17, 2006

Revisiting the albums of the past



I had £40 for my birthday - a pound for every year of my life! I decided that I would put it together with the remainder of the profits from my flickr photo and buy some cds that I have wanted for ages. I discovered that if you are buying cds that are not recent that they are very cheap on ebay, around £5 for a brand new cd! Can't be bad. I had wanted to get some of the albums that I had years ago on vinyl (or tape) and I still love. Here is the list of what I bought:

Relics - Pink Floyd
I nearly didn't buy this because I dislike the new album cover (see left)so much. i know that it is just a remake in colour of the original but I think I am just a stickler for not changing albums as I also get annoyed when they change tracks around. Or (help!) maybe I am getting old and set in my ways! Anyway here is the old cover so you can compare.





















Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
probably my favourite Pink Floyd album of all time along with Dark Side of the Moon. As I've got older I have come to prefer this one.

The Smiths - The Smiths
The first ever Smiths album and probably their best. Less affected than some of their others.

UB40 - Signing off
What a masterpiece this album is, I had quite forgotten just how good it is. Their first album. I often find that a bands first album is usually one of their best. it is from the heart when they were playing purely for the love of the music and before they are embroiled in and influenced by the media and the whole celebrity scene. This is UB40 writing what they knew about then before they were famous - the dole queue and Thatcher's Britain. magic!

Bob Dylan - Planet Waves
This is an excellent Dylan album and one of my faves - the others being Blood on the Tracks, Desire and Street Legal.

Led Zeppelin II
Hunchermuncher's favourite Zeppelin album and definitely one of their best.

Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin
This was the first Led Zep album I ever owned, I bought it second hand off my mums friend George when I was 13 or 14. I decided I needed to revisit it after watching the dvd of The Song Remains the Same. They played almost the entire album in that concert and it brought the memories flooding back. I still love it although unlike Led Zep II there are a couple of duff tracks.

24 Carat Purple - Deep Purple
This was the first Deep Purple album I bought and I got it from Robin's Records in Norwich (sadly long gone). I did buy a greatest hits cd a couple of years ago but it just wasn't as good. Every greatest hits they bring out has different versions of the songs and not neccessarily the best ones.

The best of - Simple Minds
It was a toss up between this one and the album I used to have "Live in the City of light". I don't always like greatest hits albums as they tend to be too long and I often then end up wanting to buy the original albums - I chose this though because there were a couple of good tracks that weren't on the Live album.

Best of - New Order
Yes I know another Greatest Hits. Well Inever actually like New Order much when I was younger but they have grown on me.

No comments: