Thursday, February 23, 2006

Kinks vs Gorillaz

I am still on the quest for perfect party music (not to mention the perfect party outfit!). It's not easy I can tell you. I have made two cds of "party openers" and so far one cd of actual party dance music. It takes a while, you have to get the right balance of newish, oldish, disco etc. I won't give you a complete list of what is on cd one (that might spoil it!) but suffice to say it includes tracks by Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Madonna, Jamiroquai, Sam Cooke and Third World. The hard thing is not to have all the best tracks at the beginning or end and I realised that I needed to find more tracks. A good site that has lists of dancabele 70s music is here.


I was in a charity shop today (where incidently I bought a beautiful brand new purple shiny scarf for just £1) and they were playing Sunny afternoon by the Kinks. Now is it me or does the chorus (the windmill, windmill bit) of The Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc" sound a lot like the beginning of Sunny Afternoon? I had never noticed it before, Damon's voice even sounds similar to Rays. Just shows you that it's very hard to be original, if there is such a thing at all.

No comments: