Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Steve Miller and The Sacredness of Track Order

One of my bugbears is when you go to buy an album you had on vinyl and discover that they have changed the order of the tracks. It's bad enough when they completely change the cover, although I can mostly just about live with that (although it did stop me buying Relics by Pink Floyd recently!). But to change the track order is sacrilege.

I know all the argument, this is the order they were meant to be in, it makes more sense in this order etc. But what about the fans, those of us who have listened to the tracks in that order for years. We know which track is going to come next and itare devastated if it doesn't.

Earlier this year I repurchased Fly Like an Eagle by Steve Miller, but when I looked at the tracks they were in the wrong order. In the end I ordered an import off Amazon because it was the only copy I could find that had the tracks in the original order. I have to know that after Fly Like an Eagle comes Wild Mountain Honey and that You Send Me will always come after Keep on Rockin Me Baby! Sad - maybe I am - but I looked at the album on the net today and now they seem to be selling it with the original track order again - so maybe I am not the only one who feels that way!

No comments: