Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Life is a Blur and I don't mean the band


swing
Originally uploaded by pupski.

I feel a bit like this photo today...not used to these very early mornings after the summer hols...ah well.

Talking of Blur the band I whink one of their tracks will be in my top 100 but as yet I haven't decided which one, it will either be The Universal, End of a Century or Coffee and Tv. Hmm maybe that is a cue to put some music on. darn it have also just realised that I have missed out Dire Straits, John Martyn and Suede.

PUPSKI'S TOP 100 SONGS OF ALL TIME

1. David Bowie - Young Americans
from the album of the same name, excellent lyrics, excellent musicians, excellent everything!

2. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Absolutely sublime, got into Pink Floyd when I was 12 and still love them now, the fisrt PF album I owned was Relics.

3. Bob Dylan - Oh Sister
From Desire, I always think this is about incest. I know bob doesn't have the best voice but he really has something.

4. Joni Mitchell - River
Love it, I know just how she feels. This song makes me happy.

5. Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
From Love Over Gold, there is so much in this track, I revisited recently and was amazed at how fresh it sounds.

6. Led Zeppelin - Black Dog
I could air guitar all day to Led Zep. From Led Zeppelin IV.

7. Stevie Wonder - I believe (when I Fall in Love)
From Talking Book, It's every girls dream that someone would write them
a song like this! This track was used to play out the excellent film High Fidelity
.

8. David Bowie - Cat People (Putting out the Fire)
From Let's Dance. Bowie at his best, slow intro and brooding vocals, excellent!

9. Lightning Seeds - Sense
The great Terry Hall collaborated with Ian Broudie on this track. I know that it's not fashionable but I absolutely love the Lightning Seeds, this little gem is from the album Pure.

10. Led Zeppelin - The Immigrant Song
"We come from the land of the ice and snow,
from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow."
Sheer rocking brilliance, from the album Led Zepplein III.

11. Radiohead - Creep
From Pablo Honey, excellent Lyrics.

12. Sting - Brand New Day
from the Album of the Same name.
I love this album and it was hard to choose one track. I always thought it was a good move to make such a good track the last one as it leaves you wanting more.

13. David Gray - Sail Away
From White Ladder, was tempted to include all the tracks from this album, there is not a dud on it.

14. Primal Scream - Movin on Up
From Screamadelica. If this track doesn't get you up on your feet dancing then nothing will! Feel good music for summer time, winter time, anytime!

15.The Clash - Stay Free.
I have loved the Clash since I saw them perform Clash City Rockers
on BBC2 in 1979, this is a feel good track as well, with a serious undercurrent. Recently cropped up in the film School of Rock.

16. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
From The Wall, an excellent track. I remember it from the first time I saw the Wall at the cinema, I was so chuffed to get in (I was 16and it was an 18!). Sadly I know how he feels - think a lot of ushave had those weird times in our lives.

17. Bob Marley - Redemption Songs
It was hard to choose a Bob Marley song. I have always loved this one and it is associated with a sad time in my 20s.

18. John Martyn - Over the Hill
From Solid Air, Solid Air would definitely be in my top 10 albumsof all time! Soulful, stoned and sublime!

19. Van Morrison - And it Stoned me
From Moondance, another in my top 10 albums of all time.

20. Genesis - Abacab
From Abacab. I really like Genesis sans Peter Gabriel and I love this track and not just because it evokes memories of my mispent youth.

21. Jose Feliciano - California Dreaming
Some of Joses covers are a bit corny, but this one is great. The flamenco guitar really adds something to the track, and when he starts singing in Spanish my legs turn to jelly.

22. Bob Dylan - Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)
From Street Legal
Dylan on fine form, favourite line:
"Senor, senor, do you know where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?
Seems like I been down this way before.
Is there any truth in that, senor?"

23. Simon and Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy in New York
In my opinion by far the best track by S and G. Haunting. Heard more recently on the soundtrack of the great movie Garden State.

24. Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
Not that keen on Brucie, but there are two tracks of his I love and this is one of them. Cited in the book High Fidelity by Nick Hornby as one of the top 5 opening tracks on an album.

25. Rush - Spirit of Radio
I hadn't heard this track for about 12 years and I could still remember the lyrics word for word! I used to love Rush, this is one their more accessible tracks. Rushare great for air guitarists, and they boast some corking lyrics.

26. Black Uhuru - Guess who's Coming to Dinner
From the album of the same name.
One of the best reggae albums of all time.

27. Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel - Come up and See Me (make me smile)
From The Best Years of Our Lives. I remember Steve barefoot and wired on Top of the Pops, love the guitar solo.

28. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
One of the great rock classics, made all the more poignant by the tragic deaths of half the band.

29. Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed
Don't generally like Macca all that much, but love this - it's so romantic. Would love someone to write me a song like this.

30. Fleetwood Mac - Landslide
Hard to choose a Fleetwood number, I was a huge fan of Rumours as a teenager, but love this track too.

Well will have to finish there stay tuned for another exciting installment of my Top 100 songs of all time Later

2 comments:

iWoman said...

Oh, hey. I own that Clash site you linked to! Cool. And you like a lot of good songs!

Julia said...

hope you didn't mind me linking to it!