Saturday, November 20, 2004

STYLE......


I wrote a blog already tonight and then deleted it...it was too negative. True I have had a bad week! but I am trying to not let it drag me under...

thinking about the big idea....went to a friends open house today, which she was holding to sell her stained glass work. The last one I went to about two years ago and her work has come on in leaps and bounds since then. Her work then was good...but now she has developed a style of her own.

It made me wonder about my work...do I have a style of my own??? Maybe I am doing the wrong thing struggling in a college course that seems to sap my creativity...maybe I need to be at home working..giving myself the space and time to find that style. Or maybe I already have one, after all it's hard to be objective about your own work - maybe a style is something that you can't see in your own work. When i say style I don't neccessarily mean theme or repetition (although those things can figure in a style) what I mean is a way of working that is recognisable...it's very hard to define it in words, but if you see a Monet or a Matisse, you know who the work is by even if it is not a piece that you know...it's a quality that their personality stamps on it...the signature of the soul....

No comments: